Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Me vs The Spy . . . ware

I’ve been having an ongoing wrestling match with husband Mike’s computer. I won’t mention when (two months ago) our duel to the death began.



It started innocently enough. I said “yes” to my 16 year old’s request to use Dad’s computer for “homework.” She denies any wrong doing. She’ll deny it to the day her dental work falls out. Nothing I tried made a miniscule dent in the flashing pop ups and warning boxes that appeared whenever I turned on what I’ve dubbed as “the entity.”



But in in the past week or so, I’ve made progressed. Before then, I thought I’d be forced to admit that I might just have to send the entity out to minds greater than mine. Of course you’d have to look no further than the neighborhood teen down the street, but I digress.



This particular spy. . . (ware) was a wily SOB. It managed to hijack the internet. You can imagine my horror when ransom notes disguised as connection errors sprang out at me from the entity’s screen. So downloading reinforcements was out of the question.



But on Tuesday night, a light at the end of the tunnel!



After much research, I’ve found the names of its executable programs. The virus, for your reading pleasure: Spyware Protect 2009



spw3

spw1 spw2

Please, try not to faint. I understand the horror only too well.



Today, we resume the duel but this time it’s me who has the upperhand. I’ll watch the Spy . . .(ware) bleed all over hubby’s desk until its demise. And when it’s done, I’ll throw back my head and laugh.





No comments:

Post a Comment